Thursday, August 16, 2012

9 crazy, tough, wonderful years. Happy Anniversary!

By the time I post this it will be our 9th wedding anniversary. 12 years together last month. Unbelievable. For the two of us to make it this long when neither one of us thought we'd date for more than a week.
We've been though a lot. We have survived each other's career training, living paycheck to paycheck, buying homes, multiple vehicles, learning how to be "adults", and of course becoming parents. All the while doing our best to support one another along the way. An outsider might think we were made for one another and while 9 years later I can say yes we were, there were plenty of times our means of communication involved screaming into a cell phone and hanging up. But hey we were still communicating right?
I don't know where I would be today had I not married my husband. I know one thing is for sure he loves me. The kind of love that a lot of people don't know how to give. The kind of love you don't let go of no matter how frustrated you get. The kind of love that you do your best to return because he deserves it. There is more every day, month, year we are together. Instead of time fading the excitement of our marriage it brings new light. Challenges teach us how committed to one another we really are and how much we have learned to work together to achieve our happiness.
 OUR HAPPINESS... what a concept, marriage becomes being about what makes US happy. We have learned to be selfish with our time together. We talk to one another. The sit up late at night (even when you have a long day ahead tomorrow), "hey I have something on my brain," talks. We do it a lot. I think the more we talk the less we argue about stupid stuff. He is my #1 best guy best friend. He knows more about me than I probably know about myself. He knows my past because I have told it to him without judgement and knowing he will never use it against me in haste. In 9 years he has already had to fulfill the 'in sickness and in health' vow more times than we ever expected and I apologize to him every time and every time he says "don't worry about it" in a way that makes me feel better. 
When I married Chuck I never thought we would be this happy. That seems weird to say, type, read but it's true. I did not know what my "happy ever after" would be. I was 24! When I married Chuck I knew he loved me and I loved him and I would not find another guy out there with the patience to put up with my crap (I was wild). 9 years later.. let's just say I have a filter. I can't wait to get home at night and be US with our little boy and the wild child on the way. I can say we are country people at heart, pool people, snuggle as much as we can people and chillin' on the porch people without even having to double check. 

I love what we have together and what we've become. Every moment is a blessing and I can't wait to look back in 25, 30, 40+++ years and say I love you even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment